Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tacos and Tropical Storms....


I made tacos for dinner tonight. I spotted these newly designed shells at the grocery store and I wanted to try them out. Have you seen the commercial for these on TV? Lots of Mexicans partying and having a huge celebration for the new square shaped shells...hahaha. In theory it is an improvement. The flat bottom makes them stand up nicely so its easy to fill them. And the width lets them hold a lot more of the good stuff. If you were going to prepare a whole tray of standing tacos for decorative purposes, these are the shells for you. If you want to actually EAT the tacos, don't bother buying these. Something about the wider shell makes them crack into a billion pieces with the first bite, dropping the yummy filling all over the plate (if you are lucky. if not then it all ends up in your lap....ugh). We attempted to eat them, but gave up and broke the shells into bowls for taco salad. Really, it was the only way. The taco salad was still good though, even if I was a bit disappointed with the new square shells. Oh well. You live and you learn.

Anyway, it looks like we might be dealing with Tropical Storm Hanna this weekend. We've gone from thinking it was going to go inland more around Charleston, to having it come on in at Wilmington and go right over us. At least its not a major hurricane, so that part is good news. Hopefully it will get in here and do its thing while I am able to sit it out at home rather than inconveniencing a work day. It will make for a rainy weekend, but if the electricity would just stay on I can watch the whole Season 4 of House, MD that Erica sent me this week. Curling up on a rainy Saturday afternoon with hours of House to watch doesn't sound all that bad. Of course, that electricity thing is tricky. If I am curled up here with no tv, no computer, no coffee and NO a/c....well then, its going to be an entirely different story. Haha.

All this reminds me of how bad my sister-in-law, Jeanne, mocked me during another storm. She was here for 1 full blown hurricane (can't recall which one, we've weathered many). She got to see my storm preparation. Do I gather batteries, drinking water, food...etc? Nope. Hubby generally takes care of that. What I do is the REALLY important stuff. I time it just before the storm hits and I make sure that I take a shower, wash my hair, dry my hair and use any other electrical hair appliances just in the nick of time in case I have to face a day or so without being able to do that. Oh, and I also make sure all of the laundry is done. I may be dealing with a hurricane, but I am going to do it with good hair and clean clothes. A girl has to have her priorities! Stay safe everybody. Hopefully it won't amount to much more than some much needed rain.

No comments: