Monday, September 1, 2008

I broke a dish....

Sadly, I broke a dish this evening. It was a shallow glass condiment dish. Kind of oblong in shape. My kids would recognize it as the one that always held our cranberry sauce for the holiday meals. (Jellied Ocean Spray, straight from the can. My son refuses to eat turkey without it, and will have none of that fanciful whole-berry, or made from scratch cranberry sauces. Those are an abomination). Its funny how a silly little dish can make me sad, but it does. It was nothing special....pressed glass, probably not worth more than a couple of dollars. But it belonged to my husband's grandmother. In the summertime it has held juicy red tomato slices, salted and peppered and sprinkled with a touch of apple-cider vinegar. In the fall and winter it held the cranberry sauce. Always. I have no idea just how old it is, or how hard it will be to find a replacement. I loved the shape of it though. It was perfect for the jobs it did. And I didn't even drop it by accident. I just picked it up and a big piece of the side just kind of cracked off in my hand. We ate sliced tomatos served from a mundane little plastic bowl tonight. How sad.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the love of God, what will we do this Thanksgiving?!?!