Sunday, September 14, 2008

Irony

So, I worked yesterday for a friend/co-worker of mine who was in a car accident on Friday (she is sore but ok). And then....I got hit at a stop light yesterday afternoon on my way back to the office. A man ran a red light and crashed right into me as I was pulling into the intersection because MY light was GREEN!!!! I'm basically ok (I think). I was transported to the ER, and they did a billion x-rays. My left shoulder hit the door hard, and my whole shoulder and arm is in a lot of pain and basically unusable at the moment. But no broken bones, so hopefully that will improve soon. I am also having a lot of lower back pain. The X-rays of that were inconclusive. They saw "something", but decided that since I didn't have extreme pain when they were pressing on my spine, it was probably just degenerative aging....? I am going to give it a couple of days and if it still hurts like this, I am going to go see my own Doctor. I was completely unimpressed with the ER care I got yesterday. I have had excellent care at this hospital before.
But yesterday....not so much. We waited for hours. I was left in an exam room with nothing, no pain meds, not even an ice pack, and not even a nurse to stick her head in and ask if I needed help. Hubby finally went down and got me a drink....it was 2pm when the accident happened, and I was planning to head home and have lunch. I had nothing to eat or drink all day other than an apple. By the time we got out of the hospital I was so hungry and thirsty I wanted to die.

And the diagnosis for my back pain? They were vague. I mean, I realize that its hard to tell but it was like "It could be a piece chipped off your spine, or it could just be a degenerative condition related to age (thanks, really)." WTF? We are talking about my spine here. But by that point I was so miserable I just wanted to get out of there. They didn't even send me home with some pain meds, just prescriptions. And the pharmacy was closed by then....so I have suffered with ibuprofen through the night. Hubby is out trying to get my prescriptions filled right now and maybe that will help some. I am out of work for a few days. I may be seeing my REAL doctor later this week. And my car....well, I think the car is totalled, so we are going to have to do something about that.

Still, even though it has been a really sucky experience, I do want to say that I am very grateful to not be injured worse than I am. The brunt of the impact hit the wheel/engine area on the drivers side. It could have been right at my door and I don't know what kind of shape I would be in now. And the other thing? Totally NOT my fault. I know I have a history of, um, bad driving. But this time....NOT me. The guy openly admitted to the police that he completely ran the red light. I have no idea what he was thinking, but at least he was honest.

2 comments:

Hannia said...

we are all happy you are ok!

Lori Kintz said...

We are so glad you are ok, relatively speaking. Glad you finally got the pain meds, which should help! Too bad about the car . . . but cars are cars and can be replaced, you, however, can not:-) Take Care!!!!!