Friday, May 14, 2010

Crazy Cat Lady

I was out on my route today, rearranging some stuff in my car. It was way out in the country, and there were woods beside the road. I heard this loud meowing like a cat was in distress. I walked over to the edge of the woods to try to see, but it was too overgrown and I couldn't see a thing. I actually did drive off, but got just a little ways down the road and decided that something back there needed help and I couldn't live with myself for not at least trying. Where would our Vixen be if Bruce had just driven by and not saved her? Bruce called me at that exact moment, not very far away, and when he heard that I was determined to go back and find this cat he drove on over to help me.

When I got back to that spot the cat had come out of the woods and was wandering on the side of the road, still crying like crazy. She came up to me the second that I got out of my car, so pitiful and thin. Bruce drove up a second later, and it didn't take us long to make the decision to get involved. We just can NOT turn our backs on an animal in need. And this kitty desperately needed somebody.

Feline aids is a contagious disease that our vet has warned us about. You should never let strange cats have contact with your own cat until it is tested. So Bruce took the kitty home, and set her up in the bathroom, away from Omen and Vixen. She was so hungry. I called the vet and got an appointment right away...and the good news is that she is healthy. They tested her for feline aids...which was negative. She is just way too thin like she has been starving for quite a while. Also? She is VERY pregnant. The vet did an ultra-sound and saw at least 2 babies. Maybe 3, but it will be a small litter. Which is a good thing because this is a tiny little cat.
She is somewhere between 6 and 8 months old. Just a baby, herself.

Anyway, so here we are. Technically I didn't just bring home 1 cat...its more like 3 or 4. But whatever. She is so sweet and so calm. She let the vet hold her and she purred while all of the techs passed her around and oooohed and ahhhed over how cute and good she was. We think....and I KNOW this is crazy...but we are thinking of keeping her. She already has a name: Sam or technically Samantha, but that is too big of a name for such a little cat. Right now the plan is to get her through this pregnancy, find good homes for the babies when the time comes. And then have Sam fixed so this never happens again. Our other cats are not amused. Omen doesn't really care so much but Vixen is pretty ticked off. She hasn't seen the new kitty yet, but she knows something is in that bathroom. The vet asked us to keep her secluded for at least a week because beyond the feline aids, she could possibly have a respiratory infection that might be contagious. She has NO signs or symptoms of that, but if she caught it as late as today, it would manifest within a week...so if she is still healthy a week from now we are good to go ahead and try to socialize her into the cat clan. It won't be easy....not with Vixen but we did it once with Omen, so I KNOW its doable.

Anyway, so there we are. 3 cats now. Its so crazy, I know...but I can't help it. This is no feral cat. She is too social for that. Somebody, somewhere dumped that little cat out there to fend for herself. Probably because she was pregnant. I have NO use for somebody that cold-hearted. I hope karma does its thing.

No comments: