Thursday, February 25, 2010

Whales

I was really sorry to hear about the woman who was killed by the Orca this week at Sea World. It was so unfortunate. But I am getting my dander up by the people who are calling for this whale to be exterminated. It's a wild animal. It is called a
"killer whale". And it never asked to be kept in a swimming pool where it is forced to perform for the thousands of gawkers who parade through Sea World every year. I have some strong feelings about animals in captivity. I know that zoos and aquariums are entertaining, fascinating and educational. I am guilty of visiting them myself. But it always elicits a sense sadness for me....the animals are so beautiful and we have them in jail for our pleasure. There is just something so wrong about that. And to kill an animal because it did something that is a natural behavior for it? Its unthinkable. If you play with fire, you know there is a chance that you might get burned. I hope they will decide to release this whale into the ocean. It might not survive after having been "domesticated" in captivity, but at least it would have a fighting chance.

No comments: