Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things and stuff...

A bunch of random stuff, because my brain is not in organized mode today:

1. Its Hannia's Birthday today. I hope she is having a happy one, too. Mordida!
Mordida! Mordida! (the Mexican birthday chant meaning "bite" as in bite into the cake. I think that at some point the birthday person gets their face shoved in the cake, too, but I may be wrong about that part.)

2. Its not that Omen is acting all that awful when I am trying to give her the medication. Its more that she looks at me like I am torturing her and being mean to her. And that breaks my heart. She struggles but doesn't really bite or scratch. She is such a sweetheart. The meds go on for another week though, and today I crushed it up and sprinkled it over her food. Girlfriend loves to eat, so I think she got the full dose without my having to make her unhappy. I will be so glad to be done with this.

3. Still no heat in this part of the house, but the motor came in today, so....hopefully tomorrow we will be back to normal again. ??? Thats assuming, of course, that we ever were really "normal", so...

4. The roof people from our insurance company came out to look and to measure things to get started on our roof dilemma. That was Tuesday. No word since. I have no idea when to expect to get that fixed. The good news is that we didn't appear to have any leaks during the snow this weekend.

5. I don't know if any of you really knew this, but Erica applied for a scholarship kind of thing with the Department of Defense in D.C. They would fund the rest of her time working on her Ph.D. and also guarantee her a job upon graduation. She heard back yesterday that she made the semi-finalist list, so....Congratulations Erica.

6. We might be seeing Calvin this weekend. He is coming up to go to a friend's father's funeral. Not a happy occasion, but we haven't seen him in a while, so the visiting part is good.

7. Stephen is giving a presentation at a linguistics conference this weekend. He works for the professor that organizes and coordinates the whole thing every year so he has been participating in this from the beginning. It was an honor to be chosen to present, and he has been so busy working on this that we have barely seen him (or Hannia). I wish him well, although I am sure he will do an excellent job. After this, more serious work on his thesis, so....I probably still won't see a whole lot of them. Sad, but necessary, I guess.

8. I am usually a winter-loving girl. I dislike heat, and humidity with a passion.
But this year? This year I am actually ready for spring. It probably has something to do with the fact that we have had rain, ice and snow (mainly rain) almost non-stop since December. It has been a cold, dreary and harsh winter and I am ready to put it behind me.

9. 6 weeks until sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico!!!! Yay!!! Will I be able to hold out long enough to make it????????

10. A happy springtime picture to warm us up a little bit:

1 comment:

Hannia said...

YES! mordida means bite and it does usually include shoving the kid's face into the cake. though it's also slang for a bribe, and although it was in context, for some reason i kept thinking bribe who? until you explained it hahahha i'm dense. thanks for the well wishes and WOO go Erica!