Sunday, January 3, 2010

48 minus 24 equals....12?????

So, I had to run to Petsmart today. We spend a lot of time and money in there, but its the only place in town that we can find the foods that our spoiled animals like to eat. I bought 2 cases of canned dog food, 12 cans per case. I would have bought more, but they won't stock much more than that at a time. Hence the need to make frequent trips. But anyway, as the cashier handed me the receipt, I just happened to notice that she had charged me for 48 cans instead of 24. I was still standing there in the line, so I brought it to her attention. The conversation went something like this:

Me: You charged me for 48 cans and there are only 12 cans per case.

Cashier: Oh. I thought there were more. (let me point out that these are in a flat tray, wrapped in clear plastic, so its not like you can't see, but whatever). I guess I can give you a refund.

Me: Ok, thats fine. (silently wondering about the use of the word "guess"...???)

Cashier: So I charged you for 48 and you only got 12.

Me: 12 per case. I got 2 cases.

Cashier: So thats...um...um....(long pause as she tried to do simple math without a calculator....)

Me: That would be 24.

Cashier: Oh. (Blank stare...blink, blink). So that would be 48 minus...um...um...(more blinking...more blank stares).

Me: 24

Cashier: Oh yeah. So that's um...um...like um...12?

Me: 24

Cashier: So 48 minus 24 is 24? (incredulously as if a strange and wonderous secret had just been revealed).

Me: Yes, 24.

Cashier: Ok, so....um, um....You got 48 and you only want 12?

Me: I got 24, and you charged me for 48.

Cashier: But I thought you said 12?

Me: There are 12 per case!!! I got 2 cases and that is 24 cans!

Cashier: Ok (sounding really uncertain, as if I was confusing her even further. Or maybe she thought I was trying to rip her off, even though my cases were still sitting on the counter...?)

Who knows. But she finally attempted to start the refund process. And at that point, this poor girl who can't do simple math demonstrated an even lesser talent for using the cash register. A manager had to be called. She had to physically go and get him, because she confessed she had NO idea how to work "that thing". "That thing" was apparently an intercom. The whole ordeal AFTER the original check out took somewhere around 15 minutes. There was a long line of angry impatient people behind me. I couldn't help it. It wasn't my fault.

I managed to keep my cool. I didn't get impatient. And finally the situation was resolved. I actually felt kind of sorry for the girl. Its a good thing she was young and cute, because I am afraid that's about all she has going on for her. Poor thing.

1 comment:

Hannia said...

I had to read this out loud to Stephen, it made me laugh!