Thursday, December 31, 2009

Welcome 2010



Good-bye 2009. I'm kind of glad to be done with it. It wasn't a horrible year. There were some good things (halloween cruise), and some bad times (spending frantic hours in the ER when Bruce got sick). But mostly it was just mundane, uneventful things that I have already forgotten. In fact, I can barely remember what all happened this past year it was so average.

But 2010? I hope you are fabulous. I hope I can sit down here on this same day next year and blog about how wonderful it all was. But until then, I suppose I have to do the obligatory setting of intentions for the year ahead. So here it goes:

Intentions for 2010:

1. First and foremost, if I don't follow through with one other thing on this list, I want to make good on my promise to see things less negatively. I am a lucky woman with a wonderful family, good friends, a job, a home...it is impossible to list all of the things that I have been blessed with. Instead of freaking out, or stressing out, I am going to work on just going with the flow....with grace and gratitude.

2. I need to work a little harder to be healthy. You know, I don't really worry all that much about weight or numbers on a scale anymore (well, a little but nothing like I used to). But the fact is that my blood pressure is way up and my time at the gym is way down. I'm having to go to the doc every couple of weeks, trying one med and then another just to see if we can get my blood pressure down to anything even close to normal. The med switching has left me feeling worse than the high blood pressure (although not nearly as dangerous). I keep feeling that if I just made more of an effort to eat healthy and exercise more, I could get more control of the situation.

3. Get organized. I'm not the worst person that I know in this department, but I could definitely use improvement. I am a genius at the "getting organized" part. Its the "staying organized" thing that always gets me. If I get busy, and slack off just a little, like say not sorting through the mail right away, not cleaning out closets frequently enough, or letting things sit in the fridge for too long...everything just builds up and starts to feel daunting. I intend to stay on top of all that just a little better.

4. More play, Less work. 'Nuff said.

5. Make a serious effort to learn at least one thing (well) this year. My #1 choice is to learn Spanish. I've been working with the Rosetta Stone computer program for a while now, but its going to take a whole lot more than that. I need to check out my resources and see whats available. Simple reading, like children's books would help. CD's in the car would probably be good too. Maybe a class at our community college? I need to make the time to check all of these things out.

6. Be greener! We recycle, and use eco-friendly light bulbs. I have reusable shopping bags, and try to make informed decisions when it comes to shopping. But is that really enough? I am sure there are many more things that we could do, I just need to research it and figure out how to make that happen.

And while I really do have a million other things I would like to work on, and make some progress with, these are my most important ones. And since I probably won't talk to most of you until "next year", I am going to leave you with a little prayer of intention that my yoga instructor, Diana, sends us off with after class:

"May we be safe.
May we be healthy.
May we be joyous.
May we be free."

Seriously, what more could we ask for?

2 comments:

Hannia said...

You forgot my favorite part of that little prayer (or whatever) in Yoga "May we live in a friendly Universe".

Rebecca said...

I love that one, too, but she doesn't always say it. It is my intention to live in a friendly universe though, so consider it added!!!