Saturday, July 18, 2009

Kmart on Death Watch???

I get a little panicked when I read about the state of the economy and how its affecting retail. If I ever see Target on the list of closings I don't know what I will do. We just lost the S&K store where my husband and son bought their suits. Where will they shop now? Its sad.

But if there was ever a retail store that looked like it was in serious trouble, it would have to be our Kmart. I don't know how other locations are faring, but ours? It must be in serious trouble. I generally go to Target for those miscellaneous things like shampoo, cleaning supplies, contact solution...etc. Most of the time, these items are overpriced at our grocery store. But if I just have to run by and pick up something quickly on my way home from work, I go to Kmart, just because its on my way home (well, almost. Closer than Target, anyway). I ran in there on Thursday, and I couldn't believe it. It was hot, like they couldn't afford to turn the AC up to a comfortable level. And half of the lights were turned off, making it a little dark and scary in there. Its always been a little understocked, understaffed, and somewhat dirty, but this....this was unpleasant enough to make me want to drive those extra blocks to Target. It felt sad in there. And it made me not want any of their sad stuff that was sitting around in the heat and the dark. I guess combining with Sears and offering Craftsman tools hasn't helped all that much.

I just can't imagine what our world is going to turn into. Not that one sad little Kmart store means the end of society or anything. But things are changing. I guess it had to. Nothing stays the same forever. But I haven't got a clue as to what its changing into...? Maybe something better? Maybe not. I have a feeling things are going to get interesting though.

2 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

Well, to be fair? That Kmart has always been slightly a crackden.

But you are right. When I was there in May we went by there and I was suprised at how sad it was.

Tuesday Girl said...

The state of the economy is scaring me. First Kmart then what? Cracker barrel?