Saturday, May 9, 2009

It reminds me....

The cheezypoofs kittens reminded me of something I haven't thought about in a really long time. When my children were young, really young, like 3-5, or somewhere around that age and their great grandmother, Lila was still living, her house was just across the yard, literally. And sometimes, if I turned my back for just a split second, the kids would disappear and go to Shama's house. They always called her "Shama" (and they also called MY mother that, too).

Shama always kept oreo cookies in a jar on the kitchen counter. And she would give the kids milk in these really elaborate stemmed juice glasses. It made milk seem like so much more fun to have it in fancy glasses. They would eat oreos dipped in milk at any time of the day they could manage to slip away from me. 8am? Cookies and milk sounded just fine. Half an hour before dinner? Why not.....I used to get so exasperated. Shama was a strong-willed woman who felt like she had earned the right, as a great grandmother, to give her great grandchildren cookies and milk any time they wanted it. It didn't do any good on my part to ask her not to give them treats right before meals. Or right after I got them dressed up for an occasion. Or before breakfast.....The oreos and milk rule was "Ask and ye shall receive".

And so I tried to rely on my children to NOT ask for treats at all hours of the day and night. I begged, I pleaded, I tried to be firm but that didn't do a whole lot of good either. They would sneak away to Shama's at every opportunity and then I would find them with black oreo smudges all in the corner's of their little mouths, and cookie crumbs stuck in between their chubby little baby hands.

"Did you eat Oreos at Shama's house again?", I asked them.

"No, Mama.", they would say. "We went to SEE her, but we didn't eat any cookies...."

Uh-huh. Right......

Anyway, my children survived, even if they did eat their weight in cookies during those early childhood years. So alls well, that ends well. I hope every Mom has a wonderful day this Mother's Day. If you get a chance, go sneak some oreos and milk.
Its irresistible!

No comments: