Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Parkers Saga

So, Erica is on her way home right this minute. At first she told me she might not be able to leave before 5:00, but she got out around 2:30. Which means she will be home in time for dinner. I talked to her a little and we decided to have Parkers. Parkers is a barbecue place that serves some locally famous pork barbecue with some really amazing corn sticks (fried corn bread) and excellent cole slaw. My husband and I are just so so about it. We never eat there unless we have family visiting. But when the family comes down, most of them want to eat at least one meal at Parkers.

Anyway, my daughter doesn't love the barbecue. But she is all about the corn sticks and slaw. She can sit down and make a meal out of just that. With a little brunswick stew on the side, of course. So after I left work this afternoon I ran by Parkers to pick up the standard fare: 1 pint of barbecue, 2 quarts of slaw, 1 quart of brunswick stew, and 4 dozen corn sticks. I skipped the potatoes, and only got a little of the barbecue because I know what we all will eat. But anyway....I drove all the way home in really aggravating traffic, so happy to finally be home for my long weekend. I got home, headed for the kitchen and opened the huge bag of food to check it out....Damn it.

Here's what I found: 1 pint of barbecue (ok, got that right), 3 quarts of brunswick stew (WTH?), 4 dozen hushpuppies (again...WTH?) and NO slaw. At ALL. And noone around here will eat any of that stuff with out generous helpings of the slaw. (Insert weary sigh HERE). I was so mad. But because I love my daughter, and because I only want her to be happy...I grudgingly got back in my car and headed back to Parkers ONE MORE TIME. I decided not to exchange the 4 billion quarts of brunswick stew. It freezes well, so I am just going to send it home with Erica. I ordered ONLY slaw and corn sticks this time around. And I made sure to check my order before I left the building. That part was MY mistake. I have never gotten a wrong order at Parkers, so I didn't even bother to check. I was tired, so sue me.
But the fact of the matter is that I have brunswick stew and hushpuppies coming out my ears. Anybody wanna drop on by for dinner tonight? LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really are a good mom ;-) . . . Brunswick Stew . . . Greg will be right over . . .
Lori

Girlplustwo said...

i totally love bbq.