Friday, February 6, 2009

Potty Kitty

From the title of this post, I am sure you can see where this is going.....But before I get into the tale of Potty Kitty, let me say that I decided to take today off of work. I've been trying NOT to do that, but honestly, this saliva gland thing is extremely painful. I've never had this before. I've had plenty of sinus/ear infections, but not this. I am hoping with some rest and a little more time on the antibiotics I can get myself together again. I just want to NOT feel like crap some time really soon!!!!

But back to Potty Kitty....So Tuesday evening we were all in the den watching tv. The dogs were napping at our feet. Everything was peaceful....for a moment. Of course Vixen was no place to be found, as she goes off to do kitty stuff all the time. She is not terribly sociable with the dogs. Unless she gets in the mood to terrorize the older, more feeble ones that can't get away from her.
All of a sudden, she comes tearing into the room at the speed of lightning. Its not her usual "I wanna play" run. This is her "I'm guilty of something, and I want to get away from the evidence before someone associates me with the bad thing" kind of gallop. She jumped up into her Daddy's lap to try to disguise the fact that she just made an awkward entrance into the room. Of course, Bruce starts petting her, and loving her, but then he said, "Ewww, this cat is WET!"

My first thought was that she had been playing in the dog's water bowl. I thought cats hated water....but this cat is fascinated by it. She bats at the water bowl, and then tries to attack the ripples in the water only to end up splashing doggy water all over the kitchen floor. So I headed off to go clean up the mess. But the dog dish was undisturbed. The floor all around it was perfectly dry. My first thought was "What the hell?" My second thought, "Oh God, she was probably in the bathroom." This cat has a fascination with toilets. Whenever she hears a toilet flush, no matter where she is, or what she is doing, she heads off for the source of the sound at breakneck speed....gleefully hoping to catch a glimpse of the water rushing down into the bowl.
So far she had only managed to stretch her little self out enough to just peak over into the toilet. She wasn't big enough to actually jump up onto it. Until now. I checked out Stephen's bathroom, and there was all the evidence. Water was splashed all over the seat and the floor. I yelled out what I had found to Bruce. He immediately tossed Vixen to the floor and said with disgust, "Gross, I've been petting Potty Kitty." Yuck!

I got her cleaned up. I got the bathroom cleaned up. But the name Potty Kitty has kind of stuck.
And right now, until Potty Kitty learns her lesson, all the lids in all the bathrooms are staying down. Noone wants to pet a Potty Kitty.

3 comments:

Lori Kintz said...

Well, good luck to you with waiting out the fascination of the potty from "Potty Kitty." My cat is thirteen and a half years old, and guess how long all the toilet lids have been closed in my house??? Apparently, if you are a cat, toilets are endlessly fun to play in and make a big mess, oh, and to get a yummy drink of potty water. YUK!

Seriously though, hope you are feeling better soon. Greg had a salivary gland infection a few years ago, and we almost had to put him in the hospital it was so bad. I had never heard of it before, but since he has had one, I have known a few people who have had them and they are really nasty and painful. Hope yours goes away quickly, until then, take care and rest.

That Chick Over There said...

Heh. Gross.

dennis said...

hmph! Your cat sounds like a smart cat.

ours cannot even jump on our bed without getting her claws tangled up in the sheets