Thursday, January 15, 2009

Newbies

Our gym is chocked full of "newbies" and its making me unhappy. Last night, we showed up for our regular Body Pump class that we have been going to since August, and we COULD NOT get in!!! You have to get an entrance ticket at the front desk because space/equipment is limited, and ALL of the tickets were gone. I was so disappointed. Of course, let me point out that I had been telling hubby all day that we needed to get there early because of the newbies that have invaded our gym as of the first of the year. Damn those New Years resolutions!!! Hubby got distracted and didn't get himself ready to leave until our regular time and by then it was too late. I walked upstairs to stare into the window of the studio....just to see all those new people taking MY space...haha! I know....they paid their fees, and have the right to be there, too.
I ought to be supportive and understanding. But I am feeling resentful instead. I need to be a better person, I guess.

My daughter tells me that its the same every January. And by March, the fitness-craze begins to die off a little. Maybe some people just get tired of it, or maybe its the nice weather and people do more things outside...? I don't know. I hope her predictions are correct though. This hassle of having to worry about a parking space, a spot in the class or whether or not there will even be any of the elliptical machines available is so not cool. If its still this bad when our membership comes due again in July, we might have to rethink things and try out another place.
I hope not, because the beauty of this gym is the location. Its close enough to home that I would feel guilty if I didn't go.

In the meantime, I guess I will just have to show up earlier than usual for classes, schedule cardio/elliptical times in off hours (between 5 and 7 pm is the absolute busiest time of the day), and just bite the bullet and see what happens. I want to make the yoga class at 6:30 tonight.
On Saturday that class was so full I had to turn sideways at an angle just to have enough space to do my thing. Of course, the new routine we started that day was so much harder than usual that maybe it scared a few people off....HA. One can only hope. And for the record, even though we didn't get into the class last night, we did stay and do some cardio on the bikes just to get some kind of exercise in. I think cardio is pretty boring, and I really prefer the social aspects of the classes, but it was better than nothing I guess.

No comments: