Sunday, January 11, 2009

Goat World


We spent yesterday afternoon installing the fence. Stephen and Hannia came over just as we were finishing up, and we all hung out for a while. After they left, I happened to peek out of the study door, and I'm sure you can guess whats coming next...The goats were right back on the porch stoop, and the gate of the brand new fence was standing wide open. I swear I almost had a stroke.

I took a couple of carabinger clips (the ones for mountain climbing) and I used those to secure the gate latch. For the moment, that seems to be working. The gate latch was just a little U-shaped piece that went down to fit against the other half of the door. If you pushed hard enough on the gate, it would just let go. It took them all of an hour to figure that out. Apparently my goats are smart....haha. They keep walking back and forth along the length of the fence, casing it, contemplating it. My hope is that after a few days they will just give up and forget that they want to get inside. ??

The good news is that they spent last night in their shed finally. It rained, and that drove them in to sleep in their hay beds. Thats where I had hoped they would sleep all along. Maybe they will eventually get used to that. I keep running out to feed them treats in the shed to hopefully make them associate good and happy things with it. My goats like corn chips. My generally shy, somewhat skittish goats tried to climb me like a tree when I went out there with corn chips. Maybe I can use that to bribe them into behaving like the goats that I wanted instead of these nightmare house-eating goats.

2 comments:

Saphira said...

LOL! I have to admit, goats are not an adventure I would consider! They do sound like fun thought!

Em said...

Congratulations on the solution...or at least what appears to be a solution. Those pacing goats may just figure out how to undo those clips.