Saturday, October 25, 2008

NY Adventure: Part I (Amtrak)

We made it to NY. The trip on Amtrak was long (way too long, but then again you have to understand that I am the kind of person who detests being in travel mode for more than about 3 hours at a time. Which also means that I loathe car trips, too...so...), but other than the length it was quite pleasant. The station in Rocky Mount, NC is very old, but perfectly preserved. It was so pretty that we had to take a few pictures. I would share those right now, but the thought of unpacking the camera and transferring pictures right now makes me want to die (we are exhausted). But we found the train to be way more comfortable than flying for this distance trip.
The seats....oh my Lord, the seats are HUGE, and they have footrests, and recline fairly far back.
They are also equipped with an electrical outlet which means you could watch DVD's on the laptop, but we didn't bring any with us (we may buy some for the trip home though).

Anyway, it went smoothly, the train was on time, and we walked out of Penn Station to pouring rain (ugh), and the scariest cab ride EVER!!! Ok, it might have something to do with the fact that I am now completely paranoid that everytime I get into a car somebody is going to crash into me, but still....I just couldn't watch. I held my breath until we got to the apartment.
And so we made it one piece. We ran out to have dinner, ran by a little market right across the street for essentials (coffee!!!), and although we imagined that we would rush right out to soak up some NY nightlife, the pouring rain and our pure exhaustion has totally squelched those plans. Its not a big deal though. This front is supposed to blow over by morning, and it looks like we are going to have beautiful sunny days hovering around 60 degrees for the rest of the week.

3 comments:

Em said...

Cab rides in NYC can be quite frightening. But the trip on the train sounds very pleasant.

Anonymous said...

Remember: You need to locate the cash cab!

Unknown said...

amtrak is pretty good for sleeping. you can recline and forget about the world!