Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I HAVE A GOAT!!!!


No, really, seriously I actually got a goat!!! I have been wanting a goat for a long time, because I love animals, and the bottom line is that goats are just cool! But anyway, Stephen and Hannia bought me a goat via a donation program called IHF which can be found here:

http://www.ihfonline.org/

My goat... my real live actual goat has been taken to a needy family in the East Central Pokot region of Africa where she will provide milk, cheese, and potential breeding of other goats to help feed these hungry people. This was my birthday present, but apparently it takes quite a long time to transport the goat to the family, and have a volunteer go out and get a picture of my goat. My real live actual goat. I have a picture, and no, those lovely goats at the top of this post are not her. When (if) I ever figure out how to scan something with this new-fangled printer/scanner/fax device that we just got, I will definitely post a picture of MY goat. She is beautiful. And she is standing with a member of the family that is taking care of her, too. I say that with vagueness only because the person with my goat looks kind of like a man, but is also wearing a dress, so we aren't quite sure....?

But anyway, I own a goat and that makes me happy. And she doesn't live here where we would struggle with the problems of how to get somebody to take care of her whenever we travel, and THAT makes my husband happy. And she is usefully providing a family with milk and cheese, so I can only imagine that they are happy too. Its a happy situation all the way around. You just can't beat that!!!

3 comments:

Em said...

What a very cool thing!! You have a goat and it gets to live where it can make a real difference to a family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca

Since I know Stephen and Hannia do all the background work on checking out organizations, I thought I would do my part. I know two people who are crazy about goats, you and another sister in law Marilyn Overcash. In that spirit, I donated $40 to buy two goats one for each of you. Merry Christmas Early
Jeanne

Rebecca said...

OMG, I practically have a herd now!!
I am so excited. Thanks Jeanne. I love it!