Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Birthdays and other stuff....

We went to visit Bruce's great Aunt Grace this afternoon. She is 88 years old today, and I think that's quite an achievement. We brought her some pretty fall mums, and cupcakes. Because you just have to have cake on your birthday. Its like required or something. A quick note to Jeanne and Lori, she really loved getting cards from both of you. She was so proud of them that she had to show off the pictures of the girls that you had sent her. Aunt Grace was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, and right now she is confined to a nursing home. But she is still extremely alert, and able to carry on a serious conversation. Her hope is to be able to go home. She is very matter-of-fact about dying. She talks about it openly and easily. She knows her time is limited, but she would really prefer to do her dying at home, in her own space. I hope that happens for her. But our visit with her was surprisingly upbeat, and she is in good spirits. Both her daughters were there to share a birthday dinner with her, so we didn't stay too long.

Also....Jeanne gave me another goat today!!! It was an early Christmas present, and I am so excited. I almost have me a herd going on here. I talked to Stephen tonight, and he was thrilled to hear that the goat-giving seemed to be catching on. Well, my sister was so impressed by it that she is insisting that I give her a goat on her birthday now. Actually it also inspired us to do some research into other charitable ways to help out around the world in lieu of Christmas gifts. We have decided that we both have way too much "stuff". And instead of sending each other yet another sweater, or book, or...whatever, we are going to spend the money on some special charities that support causes that we care about.

Anyway, we leave for NY on Saturday. We will have internet access, and of course my laptop will be traveling with us, so I hope to blog some travel news while we are gone. Maybe post a few pictures along the way. We will also have cell phones, so we will be in touch.

1 comment:

Em said...

I am so impressed with your goat herd and how you are helping people. And it is catching on with those around you. You are making a difference. And it is inspiring me to look for ways to do likewise.