Thursday, April 28, 2011

Almost Friday

We survived the latest onslaught of tornado weather. My heart breaks for all of those people who lost friends and family and their homes. This weather is insane and it scares me. We had a couple of frightening moments this afternoon where the storm really picked up, we had wind and hail, and Bruce saw a few of our roof shingles go flying across the yard. He ran upstairs into the attic and yes indeedy we had some water leaking in, trying hard to make water stains on the newly painted kitchen ceiling. But he caught it in time, buckets were put in place and then it was all over in just a few short minutes. Hopefully we can get this fixed this weekend. We don't have any more rain in the forecast for a few days. At least we had both made it home from work and were not out driving in that downpour.

Speaking of things that scare me....I saw the first snake of the season today. Ugh....I feel a shudder that goes down to my bones. I was at a customer's house delivering a package and I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was the biggest snake I have ever seen. Not length-wise. I have seen longer snakes. But this was the fattest, thickest snake ever. I am grossing myself out just writing about it. Out of some sense of morbidity I looked it up online just to see what kind of snake it might be. From pictures and descriptions it was a cottonmouth (aka water moccasin). They tend to be hugely fat snakes, and they are very poisonous. Glad I made it back to my car with nothing worse than a giant case of the heebie jeebies. The customer wasn't home, but I might tell him just as a warning that he has a giant poisonous snake slithering around his porch. Also? And I am trying HARD not to think too much about it.....Bruce found a snake skin in our attic when he was up there putting a bucket under the leak.

On a happier note (one that doesn't give me the creepy crawlies), one week from tomorrow I will be in Indiana with all 3 of my kids. That makes me happy. And Erica called this afternoon to say that her interview at the NIH is scheduled for May 16th.
Which also happens to be her birthday. And because I am a slightly superstitious kind of person, I take that to be a sign of good luck. I will be waiting impatiently that day to see how the interview went. I asked her if she could call me and then tuck her "connected" cell phone into her pocket so I could "hear" the whole thing, but she declined. LOL. You know its kind of crazy, but I had a friend who actually did that with her son when he was driving for those first few times out by himself. He had to keep the phone on, connected to Mom, on the seat while he drove. HAHA. Funnier still, Stephen actually did that quite a bit only the phone was connected to my mother's phone. He had a habit of pocket dialing his grandmother while he was out and about. She would call me later to say she heard music and kids laughing but he wouldn't answer her when she kept calling his name. Too funny!

No comments: