Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beware the Ides of March

I totally forgot it was the Ides of March today until Erica sent me a text about it. My family is mocking me. You see, we rented and watched the entire series of "Rome". I feel in love with it. I enjoyed it so much that I felt a deep sense of loss when it was over. But the funny/strange part was in season 1. I KNOW Roman history. I absolutely do. I understand the Ides of March, and how it was once a holiday and later became associated with doom and foreboding due to the murder of Julius Caesar on March 15th. Knowing that you would THINK I would have been a bit more prepared for Julius Caesar to actually DIE in the series. But for some reason the whole scene traumatized me to no end. The man who played the character of Caesar was really good and very impressive and I just wanted to go on and on watching him. When the senators stabbed him mercilessly I was stunned, horrified and sad beyond belief. I almost stopped watching it, but luckily I got over it enough to finish up the series as much as there was.
Apparently the show was wildly popular. It was impeccably done, and followed history as closely as possible. It would be a fantastic way to teach history to children because you become so much more invested in what is happening when you see it played out like that. Of course, Rome has way too much sex and violence for children. The sad thing was that there were only 2 seasons because it was just way too expensive to film. The authentic costumes and sets, the hoards of people for the scenes in villages....it was a tv show spending money like an epic movie. It couldn't sustain itself. And that is a real shame.
Oh Julius Caesar, your death broke my heart......

No comments: