Sunday, August 15, 2010

Settling In

The kids are getting settled nicely in their new home. Bruce called a little while ago and said they were all pleased with how its coming together. They have spent most of their time out shopping for some things that they needed (a tv table among other things) and trying to get unpacked. I am sure they still have a ways to go, but it sounds like everything fit in there like they were hoping. The main thing they are still lacking is a kitchen table. They left the old one behind because it was rectangular and the new kitchen is probably going to need a round one to fit in right. There are French doors right by the eating area and an oblong table might block part of the path....hopefully they will find what they want this coming week.

One thing that was nice? They had ordered a rocking/glider kind of chair that wasn't scheduled to be delivered until this coming week. They found out that FedEx had delivered it early, and expected it to be waiting there on their front porch for them when they got there. They have a nice covered porch that should be good for leaving packages and stuff. Only it wasn't there. They were planning to notify FedEx on Monday because stolen packages are unfortunately pretty common. It gets replaced...eventually. But today their next-door neighbor in the other side of their duplex came over with it. He had found it on the porch and held it for them. How nice is that? They didn't find out much about him, like if he is married, or living with roommates etc. But at least they know he is nice and honest and that is a big bonus considering.

Bruce also reports that there are some really good places to eat. They have a little diner within easy walking distance that has delicious breakfast food at really reasonable prices. Apparently the pancakes were yummy. And the coffee....LOL. They ate at a couple of other places, too, and all of them were apparently very good. So much moving and packing has been going on that there hasn't been time for a grocery shopping trip. I am sure that will happen soon, but how convenient to have good food right around the corner.

As for me....I am doing ok. I've been feeling a little left out, not being able to see what all was going on. But Bruce said that this whole trip from the long hard drive, to the inevitable moving chaos has been brutal and it's probably for the best that I was spared all of that. I just want pictures so I can visualize my kids in their new space. I can't wait to get up there and see it. Our friends Chris and Jessica drove up to Greenville today and took me out to lunch. That was really nice to get out of the house and have some distraction from the whole Indiana move. I really enjoyed myself and the food. Chinese....yum.

Now I am just looking forward to Bruce getting back home tomorrow. It's been weirdly quiet here this weekend. And I really just don't sleep well when he is gone. Its like I keep waking up every little bit straining to hear if everything is quiet and in order. God help me if it wasn't. LOL. The one thing that we are just going to HAVE to do is have an alarm system put in. That would alleviate a whole lot of my anxiety about being way out here with no close neighbors in a house too large to be able to hear from one end to the other. But I am picking Bruce up from the Greenville airport after work, around 5:30 in the afternoon (I really need to recheck that time to be sure....wouldn't want to mess that up), and I can guarantee you that I will sleep like a baby tomorrow night when he is back home to protect the fort. Even the cats seem to be missing him.

No comments: