Friday, August 13, 2010

And they are off.....

My Indiana-bound convoy took off this morning around 9am. I had to leave for work around 8. You know, I made it through the packing up of the house, loading it on the truck, and enjoying the kids for the evening here at our house with nary a tear. But when I got that last hug from Stephen as I walked out the door, that did it. The tears flowed and I couldn't help it. I managed to pull myself together enough to appear normal (I think..hopefully) at work. I got through the day. And as of a half hour or so, the convoy is still rolling away towards Lafayette. They weren't even quite halfway, and I am sure they are going to have to find someplace to spend the night and finish the trip tomorrow morning. It makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it, but I never really enjoy road trips.

But anyway, I am going to have a weekend of self-indulgence. It's been a long hard emotional week, and I feel like its my right. I am going to eat ice cream for breakfast and have wine and chocolate for dinner if I happen to feel like it. I may nap, or I may have a good cry, or I may shop, or I may just curl up on the couch with the cats and watch hours and hours of mindless tv like Cake Boss, Hoarders, or House Hunters. Who knows what I might do. But hopefully when real life and work rolls around again on Monday morning, I will feel rested and ready to go with it. I am going to be just fine. And so will the kids. Just send us all some happy thoughts that everything goes smoothly and they slide right in to life in the mid-west. I can't fathom it. I have never been there....I know the area they are moving too is really conservative. I also know that they drove long miles through cornfields and nothing but religious or country music on the radio. It may be a touch of culture shock, but while it may be different it will definitely be a new experience with a lot of new things to see and do. I hope all of you have a great weekend ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should have gotten a sitter for the animals and come down here so we could spoil you or better yet you could have brought them all and come here. Barb and Dad