Thursday, August 19, 2010

For Sale....

We had a freak rainstorm this evening. The kind where a heavy downpour just comes up out of nowhere. I was in the kitchen, cleaning up after dinner, and getting ready to set up the coffee pot for the automatic timer (I LOVE automatic coffeepots that allow me to wake up to the hot life-giving liquid!!!). I was rinsing the pot out when I felt something drop on my hand. It was a little weird but I was washing stuff in the sink, so a stray drop of water coming from above my head wasn't out of the realm of possibility...stuff splashes...so I ignored it. But I felt it again as I was spooning coffee into the filter, so I looked up to see what in the world was going on. There it was....a steady drip, drip, drip of a leak. Joy. I called out "We've got a problem" to Bruce who walked in, took a look, and headed off to the attic muttering stuff about how sick he was of home ownership.
Me too, baby. Me, too. We long to ditch the homeplace and live in an apartment with NO yardwork and a maintenance crew to call when the sh@t hits the fan. It probably won't happen, for many many reasons.....but we can dream.

So, he went up into the attic, and called down for a pan to catch the water. It had to be a very shallow cake pan kind of thing because this was up under the eaves around an air vent. It is going to need to be caulked to be more watertight. One more thing to add to the to-do list for this weekend. Along with acres of grass, and more stuff than I even want to think about right now. But the problem was temporarily solved. For now. So he climbed back down those God-awful attic steps, the ones that are a pull down ladder and never feels quite stable enough....and walked into the kitchen to show me this:




He found a gigantic snake skin up there in the eaves of the attic. In my house! Under the same roof that I sleep under every night! Well, I can pretty much guarantee I won't be doing much sleeping tonight. And tomorrow? Tomorrow there just might be a For Sale sign in my yard. Not that it would do much good in this economy....but again....I can dream....right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can come live with us we can fix up the basement, there is a 1/2 bath it will be perfect for you both, just think you would be right beside the train room and not far from the reloading room so you would be protected. Jerry says also there is no yard work.And we do not have snakes.

Hannia said...

Rethinking that Christmas holiday! (hahahaha)