Thursday, April 29, 2010

I can't believe it

I didn't know it was possible, but I think that I am actually getting tired of strawberries. We've had plain strawberries, strawberry shortcake, strawberries in whipped cream, chocolate covered strawberries, strawberry smoothies, and strawberries in a white chocolate pudding. I have finally come to the end of the ones that we had, and I might take a little strawberry break for a while. I know they only come around once a year, but isn't there too much of a good thing? We haven't even gone out to pick them yet, and don't know if I will. My favorite grocery store keeps having these really nice ones in huge containers that are buy one get one free. Or sometimes, buy one get 2 free. Seriously. It must have been a bumper crop of strawberries this year.

I am looking forward to other summer vegetables though. Really good tomatoes, and cucumbers. And melons. I LOVE melons of all kinds. Its a shame that I don't have a garden. I am completely enthralled with the idea of a garden, but seriously? With the work that I do the very last thing that I want/need is to have to be outside in the heat doing more work. Just cutting this enormous yard is enough to keep me and my husband overwhelmed. I guess I will just have to make trips to the Farmer's market. And making my customers happy.....several of my customers have promised me veggie's from their gardens...LOL.

I have planted a half dozen little pots of herbs that are growing in my kitchen window. They are looking good so far. I especially want my basil and cilantro to make it. Cilantro is one of those things that I love, especially in guacamole, but you can only buy it in these big bunches and I never need that much. If I could just go pick off a few pieces of it whenever I need it, that would be fabulous. Send some happy thoughts to my little window herb garden. I really want it to thrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I picked 10lbs of strawberries, and made 9 1/2pts of sugar free jam, I have planted my garden, tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, brocolli, string beans, spring onion, red onions, yellow onions, yellow squash, zucchini basil,oregano,sage,mint,
thyme,rosemary. Jerry Haymore tilled it up and helped me plant it. Now that is the way to plant a garden. So come on down in June and pick. Jerry said the point 4,5 ACP shells were .003 inches to long, I reduced the length of the shells by .008" we will see if that cures the problem. Rebecca not that you would interested in that. Barbara