Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Roofers are Scary

We have a new roof! Can I get an Amen to that? They finished up today, and while we still have a large dumpster parked in our driveway (where they disposed of all the old shingles), we are hopeful that it will be removed tomorrow before we get home from work. But this whole roofing experience wreaked havoc in kitty world. We already knew that noises from up above, like when we were installing those water heaters in the attic, scared the cats almost to death. In fact, to this day they run for cover if they see us go anywhere near the pull-down attic steps. I hadn't considered how the roof work was going to affect them. Not that we could forgo something as important as a roof to accommodate the whims of our cats. But when I got home from work yesterday and saw the crew (we weren't exactly sure when they were going to arrive), my first thought was uh-oh....unhappy kitties ahead.

It took me a while to find them. Usually they run out to greet us, but not yesterday. And I have to agree with them that the noise was terrible. They were stomping and hammering, and sometimes they would slam down another pallet of shingles that would literally shake the whole entire house. It almost scared ME. I finally found Vixen hiding under our bed, and no amount of pleading and coaxing would bring her out. Omen was even harder to find, because she was in our bed, under the covers....way down near the foot. Both of them were cowering and nervous and their eyes were huge. Poor things. They didn't come out until the roofers were long gone for the day, and they didn't eat any dinner, either.
It was a shorter day of roof work today though, the crew was gone by the time I got home. The cats seemed better, so maybe they kind of got used to it...?

Anyway, Bruce is heading down to South Carolina this weekend for his high school reunion. I am not into reunions all that much. He enjoys it though, and he keeps up with a lot of the people he knew way back when. My school was just so different. It was really large, and while we all had our group of friends, beyond that..? Well, I could go all day and not have any of the same people in my 6 classes per day. It was more impersonal, more like college I guess. There were people in my graduating class that I never even met before. So...? I am not going. I don't think Bruce is too disappointed in my absence. The main reasons are work and the animals, and the fact that we are taking off for vacation in a couple of weeks, which just makes leaving right now a little more tricky. I hope he has a good time. Last time, maybe 5 years ago, he drove all the way down there (about a 6 hour drive), and no one that he wanted to see showed up, so he drove right back home again. What an exhausting trip.
This year there are things going on both Friday and Saturday night, so I hope he has a better time.

No comments: