Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Possible good news?

So, we THINK that perhaps Stephen got accepted into the PhD program of linguistics at Purdue. The tentative part is that it was listed on his status update on the website as "recommended by program". By all accounts and by everything Stephen has heard or can find out, it means he is in. We are proud and excited, but are holding off on any huge celebrations until he gets official word. Which should be soon, like within the next week or so.

Of course, he has applied to several schools and this is the first to respond, so nothing is final, even if he IS in. He also applied to UNC Chapel Hill, George Mason Univ. near DC, and to some school in Spain, but I can't remember where that was. Apparently not every school offers a PhD in the fields of linguistics that Stephen is interested in, so his choices were limited. He can't get anything beyond his masters here at ECU. The program in Spain is a one year masters program, so he would actually be earning a second masters, and also have the opportunity to be fully immersed in spanish enough that he hopes to become fluent. So...? Who knows where the kids will end up? Spain would only be for a year, and while I would miss him and would definitely have to go visit, it would be such a good experience that I will try to control my selfishness.

I think the kids would also love to live in the DC area with so much to do, so many museums to see and all of that, but they are somewhat put off by the extremely high cost of living there. Indiana? Well, I have no idea what that would be like. I have never been there so I can't say. Its all pretty exciting though.

And as for Erica, she made the first cut in the Department of Defense grant program, but hasn't heard anything else yet. Apparently they are slow, so who knows when she will know something. She has narrowed her graduation time down to maybe a year...??
She thinks so anyway. Her committee said 6 months, but Erica is very doubtful about that. If she doesn't get the DOD offer, then who knows where she will end up. She has always said she would love to do her post doc in Europe. Joanna, her boss, has made it clear that she will have no problem finding a job, though. So thats wonderful to hear. All my kids are sprouting those wings and taking off for parts unknown. College was "away", but close enough to drive to. Indiana, Europe...?
Not so much. And while I feel a pang of sadness that I might be so far away from my beloved cherubs, I can't help but feel excited for all the opportunities that are opening up for them. I will be supportive of wherever they choose to go, as long as they all recognize that I WILL be visiting as often as humanly possible. LOL. Scary, but true. Thank God for the internet though. We can always Skype and keep in touch....yay!

No comments: