Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blessed are Tuesdays

Blessed are Tuesdays. At least every OTHER Tuesday! That's the day that Ana comes. She is a really nice lady who comes in to clean for me. I can't tell you how much this helps me out. I can't believe I didn't do this before now. Well, except that with 2 kids in college we couldn't AFFORD to do this before now. But now that I know just how wonderful it is, I hope it lasts forever and ever, amen. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Ana in every single week, but thats pushing it. I am just counting my blessings to have her as much as I do. There is something about walking in the door after a long, hard day at work and seeing the whole place sparkle, and shine, and it smells...it smells oh so fabulous. So clean. And its clean all over all at once. Do you know how hard that is when you are working a full-time job? To get it all done at one time? To have every single room in your house clean? Because before Ana, it was a piecework job of vacuuming a little bit here and dusting a little bit there whenever the opportunity arose. So frustrating.

The other nice thing about having Ana's help is that we are forced to do a full house pick-up at least every 2 weeks. Ana cleans, she doesn't pick up and put away things. She wouldn't even know where to put all of the personal things away. At first Bruce had trouble with the distinction between "picking up" and actual "cleaning". He accused me of cleaning for the cleaning lady. But now he gets involved with the Monday evening routine of putting jackets away, sorting through the junk mail, picking up stray dirty socks, putting tools and computer parts away (with my husband, tools and computer parts, and papers manage to collect all over the place....table tops, counter spaces, you name it. If its a flat surface its fair game for any of those man-toys). Its nice this way. It never gets so far out of hand that its overwhelming when you are forced to sort through it all at least a couple of times a month so that Ana can get to the stuff that needs cleaning.

So, I ashamed to say that we have NOT made it to see Johnny Depp's "Alice in Wonderland". You would think that as much as I have looked forward to this movie, I would have been there for opening night. But Bruce worked on Saturday. And we have both been fighting off some kind of crud that involves a sore throat, sinus problems, and all of that unpleasantness. I really didn't feel up to it this past weekend. Its been weird, this crud thingie. It seems to come and go, and linger and get better than pop up again and again. Its not a flat on your back, I am so sick I want to die kind of thing, but it does make us feel exhausted and yucky. Stephen came over Friday evening to see us, and he made the statement, "Are you EVER healthy?" It stung a little, but this winter its been all too true. I am feeling better now, but Bruce is kind of battling it today. How are we going to get rid of this bug? I think I will replace our toothbrushes. Isn't that supposed to help with situations like this? I don't know. If that doesn't help, I may call in an exorcist next because this crap is definitely evil. LOL. But back to Johnny Depp (as all things should automatically go back to involve Johnny), we are thinking we might try to catch an afternoon matinee one day this week. If we can ever get off work early enough, that is. Weekdays are so much nicer, so less crowded. Maybe tomorrow...?
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"..as all things should automatically go back to involve Johnny" - Yes, this is a founding principle of my life as well. Cheers!