Monday, February 8, 2010

Allergic?

Omen, our pretty little striped tabby cat has had an allergic reaction to a new collar. We think...not absolutely sure. We noticed a few days ago that she had been scratching her neck and had a slightly bald spot underneath the collar. I immediately took it off, thinking that would clear it up. But when I got home today it was worse. She has scratched it to the point that its raw and the bald spot is growing. The collar wasn't too tight or anything because we check that frequently. I guess it was just something in the material of the collar??? I say that only because the rest of her fur is thick and healthy, and her skin is clear as well. No fleas (they never go outside). I read something about food allergies, but wouldn't that be all over her body? This is just too localized.

So, we have wrapped her neck up with gauze and sports tape. She really really really hates it. I think she is hating us too right now for torturing her like this. I called the vet, but they couldn't see her until tomorrow. So...she is going to have to wear the gauze/tape collar for 24 hours. We seem to have gotten it wide enough that she can't get to the raw spot...for now. She keeps trying though. Poor little thing. I hate to see how miserable she is. Hopefully they can do something to help this clear up. I feel so guilty. I bought this pretty little pink collar, with a pink bell because I wanted her to be gorgeous and all I did was injure her. And that is it for collars. We have tried every single kind on the market, and none of them have worked out. Mostly the cats bite them off of each other...they know how to work the safety releases and can get out of them in no time.
This one actually had a buckle, like a belt, although it did have an elastic break-away safety connection. I took Vixen's off, too. She hasn't had a reaction to hers (although its identical), but I don't want to risk it. No more collars for kitties. My cats will go naked from now on!!!!

1 comment:

Lori Kintz said...

Hayley wants to know how the kitties are doing?