Sunday, January 31, 2010

Victorious



This is what my house looked like when I woke up Saturday morning. Unfortunately, it was almost all sleet/ice with a thin layer of actual snow underneath. It was NOT good snowman-making snow...and I was a little bit disappointed in that. But the good news is that even though the trees and power lines were heavy with ice by late afternoon, we never lost electricity. I was so grateful.



I did get the chance to wear my bright shiny GREEN boots though. And that made me happy. I know you are all seething with jealousy over these things.

And there is more good news, too. We have HOT water. ALL over the house! Everywhere! And Bruce and I did it ourselves. We were victorious. It was a long, and arduous journey, and we had many fails (we think it was due to a bad batch of flux...if you know what that is. I didn't before, but I SURE do now). But it got done, and no more holes appeared in our ceilings. Bruce put down more flooring up there, and it helped a whole lot. The only thing not done is the 2nd new water heater is not installed. It was bought to replace the one old one still up there, but the old one is working (at this moment in time), and we? We have had enough of that for right now. I was nothing more than a glorified plumber's assistant. But I learned a lot. Like when we get ready to tackle the second new heater, we will be using a brand new batch of flux. Flux is important. I think the second round of plumbing will go much faster and more smoothly since we are seasoned and experienced. Also? This heater is located in a wide open area that doesn't require contortions of the body to get to.
Maybe next weekend....?

I ended our long day of miserable plumbing fails (we just got finished TODAY) by making a big ol' pot of turkey and rice (with lots of celery and onions....yum).
It was turkey and broth that I had frozen from our leftover Christmas turkey dinner, and it was delicious.

Maybe things are looking up? I am going to be optimistic that this new week is a much better one than the last.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for hot water and yay for turkey and rice! Lori

Steph said...

I LOOOOOOVE those boots!