Friday, January 29, 2010

Regaining equilibrium



This week hasn't been one of the best. The busted water heater is an ongoing saga. The ones we had to order arrived yesterday. In the process of hoisting them up into the attic both Stephen and Bruce accidentally stepped off the attic flooring (ours is a bit sketchy), and put 2 holes in the ceiling. Whats the saying? One step forward, 2 steps back?? It was so frustrating. Bruce came close to a nuclear meltdown over it. But then....he calmed down and got himself together. Its unfortunate, but its not the end of the world, after all. He ran out to Lowe's and picked up not only the plumbing supplies we need to install these heaters, but also lumber to extend the floored space in our attic.

And beyond the chaos here at home, work has been just about as stressful as it ever has been. Yesterday? I thought I had blown a fuse in my brain I got so angry/upset/frustrated over things that just shouldn't happen. There were delays and mix-ups that put me over 2 hours behind. I was really late getting home. I was tired and disgusted and ready to collapse, and once again....I missed my yoga class because work just sucked. Its not just that it sucks....its the NEEDLESS sucking due to general stupidity and incompetence. If I could just go in there and actually DO my job without having to wait and then rush to make up time. Those are the things that kill me. Get it together people! Just let me do my job!!!

Today I am taking a mental health day off. To get myself together and regain some equilibrium. My blood pressure was off the charts last night. This morning its a bit better, but not back to normal yet. I have a blood pressure cuff and I am supposed to keep a check on it since I have so much trouble with it. Being angry and frustrated does nothing to help. But I am trying to catch my breath and put things into perspective. As my friend Ana pointed out yesterday: its not ideal, and its all certainly a pain in the ass, but just remember Haiti. And she is right, you know? My troubles are insignificant compared to what those people are going through. I need to remember that and muster some gratitude....seriously.

As for the holes in the ceiling? We have chosen to ignore them for now. They don't go all the way through. Its more like bulging cracks. We will deal with those later. Maybe not until spring. I was just warming Bruce up to the idea that we really needed to repaint the interior of our house (he loathes painting, so it takes some coercing to get him prepared). I guess this is just motivation to get all of that done. I actually do not hate painting. I can't do ceilings, because it wreaks havoc on my back and shoulders. But walls and trim? I not only CAN do it, I am GOOD at it, and its almost therapeutic for me.

In the meantime, we have plumbing to do. And we have snow on the way....so stay warm, and stay safe. I am going to find my happy place, try to chill, and get my blood pressure out of the stroke zone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope those water heaters are up and working soon, as a long, hot shower is a great way to relax! Hope things even out soon :-) Lori