Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sleepless in NC

Around 9:30 last night, while Bruce was chatting on the phone with his Dad, we heard a whole bunch of police sirens going off like crazy. It was so loud that I actually got up to see if one of the dogs had pushed opened the back door (Shep does let himself in like that occasionally. He hasn't learned how to close the door behind him after he comes in though). It sounded like the police were right in our backyard. But after a few minutes it all died down, we never saw anything go by our house, so we forgot about it.

About an hour later, I walked down to our bedroom to get ready for bed, and my room was lit up like a disco with blue flashing lights, and all kinds of commotion going on right outside. WTF? I came down the hall, yelling for Bruce, and told him to check out the front door because something was going on right out there in our yard. We were both so surprised. He walked out there and discovered that there had been a hot police chase, and the wayward car had somehow ended up stuck right on the edge of the deep ditch that runs along the edge of the woods right beside our house. Then the guy took off on foot and was supposedly running around out there in the woods, warranting at least 7 cops cars, search lights, and police combing the woods with flashlights. They never found this man. And all that they would tell my husband was that it was something "domestic".

They finally gave up, had the car towed, and left around midnight, but I couldn't sleep. They were looking in the woods beside the house, but it wouldn't be that hard to clear the ditch and sneak off into the 17 acres of pine trees right behind us. Nobody ever looked there. And just what the heck did this person do to wreak so much havoc? Would a simple domestic dispute be worth a car chase and manhunt? My imagination ran wild with all the heinous things that MIGHT have happened. With all the places on our property (barns, outbuildings, trees) where this person MIGHT be hiding. Chances are he was long gone by then, but still.....It kind of scared me a little bit. I don't enjoy having crime take place right here on my property. My husband assured me that everything was fine, the police knew the guy's name and address, so he wouldn't be able to get too far. But I couldn't help but notice that he took special care in locking up all the doors last night. Sometimes, and I KNOW its terrible, but we actually forget to lock up. Its rare, but it does happen. Not last night, though.

The strange thing is that I can't find out anything about what was going on. No reports on our local news websites, nothing in the paper. Weird. I just hope I don't think about it all night tonight, too. I am tired and sleepy today!!!

No comments: