Wednesday, June 3, 2009

STILL Sleepless in NC.....

I still didn't get much sleep again last night. There were no cops or commotion going on, Thank God, but it still got a little weird around here. For starters, I have done something to my knee. It doesn't hurt to stand or walk, but things like deep knee bends or kneeling sends shards of pain up my entire leg that feels like somebody just struck me with a searing hot branding iron. And I decided to ignore that and go to the Ab/Core class yesterday afternoon. There was lots of kneeling involved. I did it anyway. And last night my knee ached like a bad toothache, even after taking as much ibuprofen as safety allowed. It was impossible to get comfortable. I saw midnight on my bedside clock. Then 1 am. I think I finally fell asleep around 2. And then....

The doorbell rang at exactly 3 in the morning. I woke up halfway thinking I had dreamed it. But then it rang again, and this time the dogs started barking so I knew I wasn't imagining things. I slid out of bed and tiptoed across the hall to peek out of the front-facing windows in my daughter's room. Of course, it was pitch black outside so I couldn't see anything. But standing there in the dark, my brain still groggy from sleep, I started thinking about the guy who was running away from the police on our property. Why in the world a guy running from the cops would be standing on my doorstep, ringing the doorbell at 3 am I can't tell you. But I got a little freaked out. The doorbell rang again while I was standing there, and suddenly I began thinking of all the reasons anyone would be at our door at this time of the morning. None of them were good.

I managed to work myself up into full scale panic, and the bell....oh yeah...it rang again! I am pretty sure it was exactly the same as every other ring, but somehow it sounded more insistent this time. I started down the hall. I have NO idea why because I am fairly certain that I wouldn't have the nerve to actually open the front door to face a stranger. Not at 3am, in the dark, wearing my nightgown. But I was heading that way like my feet weren't attached to my brain. Halfway down the hall 2 things occurred to me simultaneously. First of all: Our doorbell has been broken for a while now. WTF? And secondly: There was an ominous electronic buzzing in the hallway.

I tracked down the buzzing sound to the doorbell "box" (I have no idea what to call it). It sounded like it was about to blow up. I decided that I would have to wake up my husband, because this was way beyond my area of expertise. Plus, I didn't want to go back to bed only to have the thing explode and burn the house down. Of course, despite the ringing doorbell, the barking dogs, and impending doom and destruction, Bruce was sleeping like a baby lamb. Somehow he managed to get up, locate a screwdriver, disengage the buzzing doorbell box, and drift right back into peaceful, lamb-like slumber all under a minute. Sigh.......I was left feeling really nervous, and twitchy, and nowhere near ready to sleep. I saw 4 am on the clock, and then 5. I think I finally calmed down enough to sleep around 5:30.

And thats when our adorable, living, breathing, cute and furry alarm clock cat, Omen, decided to make her morning visitation. Every day, like clock-work, Omen jumps on our bed at 6 am. She sticks her nose against our faces and meows loudly.
She parades back and forth between the 2 of us, climbing on top of Bruce, then me, then Bruce again. She kneads us like a bread-maker, taking great care to be sure that her sharp little claws pierce through the top layers of our skin. She has taken it upon herself to make sure that we are aware that our alarm is going to go off in half an hour. Just in case we miss it or something. She doesn't think that last half hour of sleep is necessary. Plus, if we overslept she might not get her breakfast on time, and that would be a tragedy!

Oh well, hopefully nothing weird or crazy will go on tonight. Wish me luck! I am in desperate need of a decent night's sleep.

No comments: