Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Anniversary




A year ago today we were all on the waterfront in Morehead City to see my son Stephen get married to Hannia. It was a beautiful wedding, and we all had a whole lot of fun. Wine, dancing, bubbles, a gorgeous view....what more could you ask for?
And? There was cake. It was perfect. Today the kids took off for Charleston, SC to celebrate surviving the first year of marriage. Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I spent a whole lot of my childhood there, so it always feels like home to me. Hannia has never been there before, and I am hoping that she enjoys it and loves it as much as I do.

When Stephen told me he was planning to take her there, I gave him a little tip that I have recently read about. FIG is a restaurant right there in the historic district of Charleston (just a block from the hotel they are staying in) and it won a James Beard Award for 2009 (top 10 restaurants in the U.S.). Stephen just called me a little while ago and told me that they had just come back from dinner there. He said, "Hands down, this is the BEST food I have EVER eaten!" I swear I thought he wept just a little bit at the sheer awesomeness of it. And while I am somewhat insane with jealousy that I am NOT eating at Fig tonight, I am completely thrilled that they had such a wonderful experience to celebrate their anniversary.

Anyway, we have been very blessed to have Hannia added to our little family. I hope the kids have many, many more happy years ahead of them. And I also hope that they enjoy the heck out of the rest of their time in Charleston. They have lots of good stuff planned (a whole LOT of it involves eating, but oh my God there are just so many fantastic places to eat there). I just want to see the pictures...which will make me feel slightly homesick for that place. Maybe I can coerce Bruce to head out on a quick road trip down there sometime soon. And IF we do....we WILL be making a reservation at Fig. You can count on that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great week-end that was full of wonderful memories. Happy aniversery Stephen and Hannia.

The evil wicked stepmom.
Barbara

Unknown said...

Thank you both! We had a wonderful time in Charleston, and we really glad to have you be part of our wedding day! :)

That Chick Over There said...

How nice! I wish you were my MIL. :)