Tuesday, May 19, 2009

So Ugly




Have you tried an Ugli Fruit? (Pronounced "oo-glee") We stumbled on these weird fruits while browsing at The Fresh Market. I haven't seen them before. We just had to try one. For being so unattractive, its really amazingly good. It was about the size of a large grapefruit. It has a really thick peel that pulls away from the fruit like a tangerine. It also pulls apart in big juicy sections like a tangerine, too.

Apparently it is some kind of hybrid of a grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. Other than the size, I can't taste anything grapefruity about it. The one we bought was really sweet and juicy. And I can taste an orange/tangerine mix. Really good stuff.
Buy one if you run across any of these. It was kind of expensive, and I probably wouldn't buy a lot of them regularly, but it was a fun treat to try something new and.....well.....ugly. I did some quick google research before we ate this one, and apparently its so disfigured that its really hard to tell when these things are ripe.
The suggestion was to judge its weight by holding it. If it feels decently heavy then its probably ripe. I didn't know that when we were shopping, but I lucked up and got a ripe one. The flavor really is delicious.

No comments: