Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dog Bite




So, I was bitten by a dog last Monday. And no, it was NOT one of MY dogs. The bite wasn't the absolute worst thing in the world. But it did break the skin, with a large long scratch, several deeper puncture wounds, and a really nasty looking bruise. It also scared the hell out of me. But anyway, it was bad enough that I had to report it, as it happened during the course of work. Which made animal control get involved, and forced me to go to the Doc for a tetanus shot. I couldn't remember the last time I had one, so.....fun times.

The issue was that the dog wasn't current with his rabies shots. The woman, his owner, lied and told me that he was vaccinated. Animal control found out otherwise.
So I have been in limbo, just having to wait it out while this dog has been in quarantine to make sure he doesn't start to exhibit any symptoms of rabies. Honestly, I tried hard not to think about it. I don't know the full details of what rabies involves (for me...for the dog I am pretty sure it would have meant he had to be destroyed). But everything I have heard goes something along the lines of a long series of painful shots, and I refused to even contemplate it. I didn't research it, read about it.....in my mind, for the past 10 days it was like it never happened.

But anyway, I got the good news today that the dog is fine. Which means I am fine, so both the dog and I plan to keep on living for a quite a while longer. That makes me happy. The bite is pretty much healed, the bruise is looking a whole lot better, and I can now go back to pretending that this never happened. I love dogs. I love animals in general, so I really really REALLY hated having animal control get involved. But all is well that ends well, so.....yeah. I am having an excellent day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything turned out great. Yea, Yea.Barbara

Maria said...

God, you must have been scared out of your pants...