Friday, March 6, 2009

Guilty Pleasures....

Ok, I confess, I watch American Idol. I KNOW its commercialized garbage. I KNOW it can be cruel for the contestants. I KNOW its pop culture at its worst. And I actually tried to NOT watch it. And I failed. I am hooked, addicted and I can't stop watching no matter how stupid it is, or bad it is, or whatever. My favorite so far is Anoop Desai, from UNC Chapel Hill. And yeah, I am fully aware that my daughter is a Duke girl, and I should probably not be supporting a UNC boy, but my Lord that boy can sing. He came out for his auditions looking all geeky in a smart kind of way. I figured he was another one of these really awkward wanna-be rockstars. And then he opened his mouth, and sang like nobody's business.

Anoop did not make the first cut. But he got called back to retry for a wildcard spot. And last night, he made it. They pretended he was cut, having filled all the seats for the final 12. And just as Anoop was about to walk off, looking really sad and disappointed, Simon Cowell, Mr. Mean himself, announced that this year they decided to have a top 13!!! I was on the verge of making the decision to never watch it again, but now that my favorite is in there I am hooked. Again.
Actually, I have 3 favorites. Anoop is in my #1 spot. But I was also impressed with Jorge Nunez, and Alexis Grace. Jorge is from Puerto Rico, and when he gets excited he completely forgets how to speak English. He did a killer rendition of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", and even though I had never really noticed him before, I was really impressed with how awesome he was.
So....yeah....I will clearly have to wait until maybe next year to swear off this show. Its like crack or something. I just can't stop.

No comments: