Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cemeteries and other stuff

The funeral was a nice service. I can't describe a funeral as "fun", or "exciting", but it was what it was intended to be....a way to pay your final respects and offer condolences to the family. Afterward there was a short grave-side service at the cemetery. As we were walking down the path to the grave site, I couldn't help but notice all the plastic flowers on so many of the graves. Some of them were still Christmas poinsettias with glued on sparkles. It just seemed so wrong. I made mention of the fact that no one should adorn my grave with plastic flowers. EVER! My brother-in-law said that was fine. But that it would be more helpful to tell people what I DO want, instead of listing the things that I don't want. So.....

I want to be cremated. Jeanne and I were talking about the fact that not only is space becoming more and more limited as the world's population grows, but burying bodies that have been pumped full of formaldehyde and God only knows what else is just poisoning the ground water. Also, being claustrophobic makes me feel a certain amount of dread at the very idea of being underground. I KNOW I will be dead, but still.....I do not want to be buried in the ground.

What I do want is to be put in a pretty urn, and to be passed around between my kids for a while. I want to be a family heirloom. Sit me up on the table for Christmas dinner, put me on the mantel, talk to me once in a while, and by all means, laugh and make jokes and keep it fun. I don't want an air of somber seriousness or sadness or tears. I have always valued a sense of humor so keep it funny. If its in bad taste, so much the better. Eventually, my husband and I want to be mixed together (we clearly have to wait until we are BOTH urn-ready)...and then scattered out someplace nice. If its someplace that its illegal to spread cremated remains, and you have to sneak us in and do it on the sly....well yeah. That makes me smile. Don't get arrested or anything, but have a good time. But most importantly.....remember this.....I insist on being a family heirloom at least for a little while before you spread me around.

No comments: