Sunday, June 29, 2008

Strange...

I worked this weekend (Saturday) on my day off because a long-time friend/co-worker told us all at work on Thursday that her husband was having to have heart surgery on Friday morning to clear some blockages. Yikes! That sounded really scary, and she was supposed to work on Saturday, so I had no problem covering for her. I mean, I would HOPE that somebody would have the decency to cover for me if a member of my family was having some serious surgery.
She was supposed to call me and let me know how things went on Friday. So I waited and waited and finally got concerned and sent her a text message to see what was going on. The text reply said that they did some tests and sent him home....? Very weird since she had been all dramatic about the impending surgery the day before.

Another friend/co-worker had been suspicious from the beginning, so she called the hospital. No record of said Drama Queen's husband having been there at ALL. Not for tests, not for surgery...nothing. So she called several other hospitals in neighboring counties just to check and be sure. Nothing. Nada. So, I mistakenly thought that well....thats good news. Everything must be ok, and most likely she would call me and tell me that it was not necessary to cover for her on Saturday. WRONG!!! She never called.

Then, she sent a text on Saturday morning to the same woman who had called the hospitals, saying that they just had to call 911 for her husband. !!??!! She didn't realize that this woman was sitting at her mother's house which is just a few doors down from Drama Queen's house AND that the mother is addicted to her police scanner that lets her know everything that goes on up there in that small town. No record AT ALL of a 911 ambulance call, and....no ambulance in evidence at said residence. Does this sound suspicious at all? Is she lying just to get time off?

I can't say that I am really pissed off about it, IF she was making up this kind of a sad tall tale just to take some time off. But what I am is sad. We have been friends for 10-12 years. If she wanted the weekend off, I would have gladly worked for her if she had just asked me. I well remember the days when I was low enough on the senority totem pole to have to work most weekends, and now...I don't mind stepping up and helping someone out if they have plans. No lies or drama necessary.

I don't know. I suppose that its possible that there really was some emergency going on and we just misunderstood...? I'm leaning in that direction because honestly? I do NOT like thinking the worst of people. She is supposed to be back at work tomorrow, and I am not sure what to say to her. I guess it would look weird if I didn't at least ask how her husband is doing. I'm just not sure if I can believe anything that she says. Very strange.......

1 comment:

dennis said...

I'd say a big 'get well' bouquet for her husband sitting on her desk and pestering her about visiting hours just about should let her know that you know that she knows....