Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Apocalypse...?

It certainly looks like the apocalypse outside right now. Smoke from the wildfires down around the coastal areas of NC has made its way inland and has settled in over our entire town. It looks kind of spooky out there. And the smell is slowly seeping into the house, even though we have everything closed up tight. Areas of it were even thick enough to make driving a little tricky, like driving in heavy fog. Its so weird. I had to run into Target after work today. And it was a bright sunny day when I parked and went in. And yeah, I KNOW I tend to browse in Target for a fairly long time, but not so long as to expect that kind of a change. When I walked back out to my car, the smoke had arrived. Everyone was just standing around in the parking lot looking at it, trying to figure out what was going on. I overheard several people on their cell phones asking if there was any explanation for it on the news. I guess we all expected that the fires were far enough away that we wouldn't have any of this here. But we were wrong, cuz.....its definitely smokey out there.

3 comments:

Em said...

Wow...it is really having an impact. They have barely mentioned this on the news here...so I had to actually search to learn more about it. My family is visiting the Outer Banks of NC this summer...so I'm looking forward to coming your way!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Fires are frightening. We've had a few around my area (L.A.) the last few years.

The ash sometimes last for days.

That Chick Over There said...

We're supposed to be visiting soon. I hope it clears up so my dad can get the family photo he's been dying for since 1990.