Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Handbags and Weddings



So this weekend in Danville, Erica and I ran out to shop briefly. Mainly because she wanted to pick up some of that yummy chicken salad from the Mid-town Market to take home for lunch this week (um, we got really lost and had a most excellent adventure through out the streets of Danville. And she had like NO sense of humor about it, but I thought it was hilarious good fun...).

But we ran into a few other places along the way. I have been shopping around a little bit for a handbag to go with my dress for THE wedding. The only evening bag that I own is black. And my dress is brown/copper and my shoes are gold. Black wasn't going to cut it. But I didn't find anything acceptable. So when we finally got back to the house (after seeing a whole lot of the town on our crazy roadtrip) Dad and Barb mentioned that there were several evening bags packed away somewhere in the house. And I got this one pictured above. It belonged (if I am remembering correctly, which I may NOT be, so feel free to correct me) to my hubby's Dad's mother, and might actually have been used in the 1920's...? Anyway, whether that information is right or not, I happen to think that its really pretty. The metal work at the top of the bag is pretty enough to feel like jewelry instead of a purse frame. And the body of the purse, the part that looks like gold sequins, is actually tiny little gold-colored metal disks. All of them intact. And worked together so finely that it feels almost silky. Its hard to describe. You would have to feel it. Anyway, its vintage and unusual and it makes me happy. So, thanks Dad and Barb. I can't wait to use it. The weird looking orbs at the top are really just a candle holder that I used to prop the purse up so I could take a picture. They aren't actually attached to the bag...haha.


So, the wedding grows closer. Hannia stopped by this afternoon to drop off Erica's dress. Its really pretty, and the length of it (more knee-length) will make this a dress she could probably wear again to some other special occasion, so that makes it even better. But one of the things that I have been meaning to say about the wedding is the fact that my daughter is going to be The Best Man!!! How cool is that? And Hannia's brother is going to be a bridesmaid....haha. I LOVE how they are breaking convention like that. It makes me smile. Everything seems to be coming together nicely, so.....we have a lot to look forward to this spring!!!

3 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

That is so nice. All of it.

MdG said...

I so love that purse.

Anonymous said...

Yummy chicken salad . . . makes me want to drive to Danville right now! Chelsea and I think that purse will match the dress perfectly! It is so cute! - Lori