Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My head is spinning

I haven't forgotten my blog, but I've been so overwhelmed these past few weeks. First of all, Bruce's Dad has been awfully sick and in Duke Hospital for almost a month now. I won't even go in to all the details, but it has taken a very long time to finally get a diagnosis. And even now...we don't have a firm diagnosis. The Dr.s THINK he has a type of neuroendocrine cancer. But all the tests seem to be inconclusive. He just had another biopsy today, which will require waiting until at least Thursday. And that is something I just don't understand....why does it take so long to get results? Obviously I don't know the lab procedures....but damn it, people are sick, families are anxious...seems like it could be done in a quicker way. But what do I know? Anyway, Bruce, Jeanne and Greg have all been trying to schedule it so that at least one of them can be there every day to follow what the Dr.s are saying. Barb has been there pretty much the whole time. It hasn't been easy for any of us, but its necessary. We hope Dad can get his strength back and start feeling better soon. There is still a long way to go but we are all feeling optimistic.

And while Dad is stuck in the hospital, Erica was offered a job, a post doc position at York University in Yorkshire England. She accepted it and is now waiting on the paperwork to make it officially official. Its been less than a week, but she hasn't heard anything in a couple of days and is feeling uneasy that somehow the opportunity will be ripped away from her. I doubt that. But she won't be comfortable until documents are signed. I am both thrilled and devastated. Well, devastated is probably too strong of a word, because I will be fine. Just like every other time the kids have left...for college, for grad school...I was really sad for a while but then managed to adjust. And the fact that I will get to plan visits, AND the fact that this has a 3 year limit will all help make it easier for me. I just need to figure out things like the best way to make international calls, and if we can still text, and those kinds of things. Apparently we can use skype on our computers for free, but it looks like skype-international for mobile phones has some kind of monthly fee. And maybe I am misunderstanding it, but it seemed like I could use skype only to call a UK landline, which I am fairly sure my daughter won't want to have. So, yeah....gotta get myself informed about all the options. If anybody has any suggestions as to the best ways to stay connected internationally, by all means, lay it on me.

And as if all of this wasn't enough to have going on, Stephen and Hannia are moving back to NC THIS weekend. They have been trying to find a subletter for their place in Lafayette. They finally found a good fit, but the guy needs it right away. Like Saturday right away because he is starting a new job there on Monday. Somehow, they are going to pack up their whole entire house in 3 days, get it loaded on a truck and move it all here to our house. It seems like a tremendous feat to accomplish, but the truth is that it makes me really happy. I wasn't thrilled with Indiana, and they REALLY weren't thrilled with it either. They will be here until they can find the right place for them in Durham...or Raleigh...or Chapel Hill. But it will be someplace in that area for sure. And when they move there, I won't even have to be sad because its close enough that we can drive there in about 2 hours. Hopefully the whole move will be smooth and easy. Well, it won't be exactly easy, packing, moving and driving 14 hours...but smooth and uneventful is more like it. Hannia's parents are flying up to help them and drive the rental truck so the kids can get both of their cars home at the same time.

So, say a prayer for us if you can spare it. A prayer for Dad's recovery, for Erica's new start in England and for safe travels for Stephen and Hannia. Its all going to be just fine. I know that. It is just a lot to take in all at one time.

1 comment:

Lori Kintz said...

My head is spinning too :-(