Thursday, April 14, 2011

Its time for a....uh....garden, or whatever

I'm not the gardening type. I don't like dirt, or bugs, or being outside once the temps get above 80 or so. I definitely despise to sweat. And given all of that, gardening has never been a hobby of mine. But this year, driven by the high costs of tomatoes, we decided to plant just a few things. A very few, but its way more than I usually do, which is nada, zip, zero.

Bruce decided that container gardening would make it easier. No weeding, fewer soil-based diseases and fungus. But he also thought it would be best to submerge them mostly underground to keep roots from scorching in this brutal heat we have every summer. And hopefully it will keep moisture from evaporating as fast as it might if the containers were just sitting outside on a porch or something.



Note that we (meaning Bruce) decided that it was best to plant INSIDE the fence, because seriously we have a gazillion deer rampaging the countryside, eating every tender green thing that they can find. He also plans to use the fence for staking the tomatoes, so it serves a double purpose.

We got the plants in yesterday. Like I said, not a lot. 4 Better Boy tomato plants, 2 cherry tomatos, and 4 bell peppers in green, red, and yellow. I also planted some catnip in the cats enclosed area....and basil inside. The basil is so I can continue my Margherita pizza addiction.



And one more thing that makes me happy? He set up a rain barrel for watering. I like it because it makes me feel like I am being a little bit earth friendly by conserving water. Bruce says its way better to water plants with non-chlorinated, non fluorinated water.



So wish me luck. I am sure you long-time, experienced gardeners are laughing at my tiny little container garden, but its a start. I just hope it does well. My mouth is watering for fresh tomatoes and peppers right this minute. LOL.

No comments: