Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Like Gold




Forget how high the price of gas is climbing (well, don't actually forget because it is ridiculous, sad, and scary). Trying to buy a decent tomato right now is like buying gold. Both expensive and precious. The thing is that I LOVE tomatoes. Especially fresh ones. I love slices of tomatoes on sandwiches, tomatoes in salads, and I take baggies of the little cherry tomatoes to work with me to snack on. But this week I bought only 1 tomato at the grocery store. We ate it tonight because I made BLT's. It was good, but not as ripe as it might have been. There is apparently such a shortage, I was grateful to have even that one. They were so expensive that I didn't even consider buying the little tubs of the cherry tomatoes.

I have seen several local restaurants posting notices that tomatoes are in such short supply that they will only serve them upon request. Apparently you have to really want one to get it. Hopefully a new crop will come in soon. I mean seriously its making me think about trying to grow tomatoes this summer. I hope it doesn't come to that....LOL. But I guess I will if there is no other way to have some ripe juicy tomatoes. I must really REALLY want it to break down and consider digging around in the dirt outside with the bugs and the blistering heat. Oh God, Please please please let our local farmers have good luck so I won't have to resort to that.

No comments: