Saturday, August 7, 2010

On losing Scooter

We made the decision to have our last sheltie, Scooter, put to sleep this week. It is never an easy thing to do, and if you have ever loved a pet than I am sure you can sympathize. Its hard, but he was so old and weak. He had pretty much lost all interest in food, and in the past couple of weeks had started having trouble breathing. We decided he had suffered enough. He lived a long full life here with us. He was born here, being one of Scarlet's pups. All of our shelties lived past the normal life expectancy, so apparently we raised them well. Shep is starting to slow down and show a little age, but for the most part he is still doing pretty good considering.

I am just feeling a little blue this week. Losing Scooter was hard. Wednesday was my mother's birthday and that always makes me nostalgic and sad. And of course, the kids' move is imminent. I have a lot on my mind lately. But it is going to be ok. I know that. Stephen and Hannia are heading out for a wonderful new experience, and there will be visits and holidays. Our house full of cats gives me plenty of needy little bodies to lavish my attention on. I may be feeling a little teary-eyed for now, but I plan to get over myself soon. If anybody catches me still wallowing in misery, feeling all sorry for myself by say...September...give me a good kick in the rear to jolt me out of this funk. Fall is just around the corner, and that always makes me feel better. Summer is a cruel, cruel mistress and she can't leave fast enough to suit me.

2 comments:

Lori Kintz said...

I am sorry this is hard, but know that Scooter, and all your doggies, had a life filled with love and more love.

We hope that Hannia and Stephen have an easy move and transition, and you and Bruce have an easy transition too. Focus that energy on the cats now, you crazy cat lady! :-)

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.