Monday, July 5, 2010

Nana....please SHUT UP!!!

Our 4th of July in New Bern was good. We got there early enough to tour through the gardens at Tryon Palace, something I have never done. Then we made it over to Union Point Park in time to catch the air show. That was pretty impressive. One act had a woman who hung upside down, by her legs, off of the wing of a bi-plane that was flying over the river. And her EX husband was the pilot. At some point he rolls the plane and she ends up sitting upright on the wing. Scared me to death!!! But oh my Lord we were so HUNGRY!! We just figured we would eat there for the celebration so we didn't eat before we left, but.....it was Sunday and none of the downtown restaurants were open. And....there were only a couple of vendors at the park and those lines were sooooooo long. Around 7:30ish Bruce and I decided to leave the park in search of food. The crowd had grown so large there that we could already see that getting back to the other side of the river was going to be a nightmare on that one bridge after the fireworks anyway. There is only one way out, and its an active drawbridge that opens periodically and stalls traffic to a standstill.

So, we drove out of the chaos and crossed the bridge back to our side of the river.
We found a Hardee's. Ok, I realize this is NOT fine dining, but at that point we were too hungry to care. It was food. It tasted fabulous. LOL. And we also realized that just behind the Hardee's people were heading down to the river, just a block or so away, and setting up to watch the fireworks. That ended up being fantastic. We had a spectacular view, and the color blasts over the water were really pretty. Also? No traffic getting back on the main road to drive home. That was particularly great.

But there was a dark spot. Of course. We were sitting there on this point on the bank of the river with a hundred or so other people who had the same idea. And this woman....who was clearly Nana, and who apparently was babysitting her grandchild almost ruined it for me. She had this really hoarse, scary cigarette voice. I never actually saw her because it was too dark out there, but she sat right behind us and this woman NEVER! SHUT! UP! the entire time. In a crowd of people with firework explosions going off, her voice still bored into my brain until I almost had to turn around and beat Nana into a bloody pulp. She was talking to the baby. And ok, that's cool. Fine, really. But the baby wasn't even responding to her because clearly the baby wanted her to shut up too. She was so God-awfully LOUD! She was doing this non-stop string of baby-talk to the baby. "Say Nana! Naaaaa Naaaaa! Are you Nana's pretty girl? Naaaa Naaaaa!" (If you ever had the opportunity to hear my goats nay and bellow, that's kind of what it sounded like). And in between screaming nonsense at the top of her lungs, she took the opportunity to call every single person that she has ever known in her life to wish them a Happy 4th. Loudly. Why even bother to go to the fireworks? Those people she was calling were probably trying to have their own celebration. Oh my Lord. The fireworks were beautiful but I watched them with a clinched jaw and white knuckled fists as Nana grated on the last nerve that I had. Even Bruce mentioned it later. I was thinking I was just being ultra-sensitive, which happens sometimes as I have a low tolerance for irritating people. But if he noticed it, it was really BAD. Nana barely paused long enough to draw a breath between her babbling of stupid crap. Ok.....breathe......I am almost over it. Seriously. Too bad I didn't see what Nana looked like so I could be sure to avoid her like the plague if I ever run into her again. But I would still recognize that annoying voice.

No comments: