Friday, May 7, 2010

To All the Mothers

To anyone who has a child, or anyone who has a mother (that should about cover it without leaving anyone out...right?), I hope you have a nice Mother's Day this weekend.

It's not one of my favorite holidays, as it kind of feels like the world rubs it in my face that my own Mother is no longer alive and with me. But, you know, life goes on and there are other things to celebrate. We have Barb, and I also feel very lucky to have my children. I enjoyed being a Mom. I just wish it wasn't such an overly commercial holiday. It starts just after Valentines....the advertisements for diamond necklaces, and so forth and so on. I never really thought of Moms requiring diamonds in compensation for their never-ending duties. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but still...

Anyway its supposed to be nice weather, and Stephen and Hannia are grilling out for me at their house on Sunday. Yay! A day to not have to cook is always a wonderful thing for me. I just wish Erica could be home. But, she is working on a presentation that she has to give in San Diego in a couple of weeks, so it just can't happen. We are hoping to get up there to visit her and do a river tubing trip sometime in the early part of summer, so I can see her then. That tubing was a blast last year. I have been dying to get a chance to do it again.

And now for something entirely random....Vixen, our black cat, steals things. LOL.
Seriously. I have never known a cat to do that. But she is always on the look out for small items and trinkets that she can pick up in her mouth, and then she carries them off and hides them someplace. Usually under rugs. She LOVES to poke things up underneath a rug. I have no idea why. She takes jewelry (I am going to have to be more careful that she doesn't have access to anything important), and keys, and hair clips. She also loves rubber bands, bread bag ties, and drinking straws. I have no idea what Ana thinks when she is cleaning. Probably that we are crazy people who store jewelry and trash underneath our rugs??? Doesn't everybody do that? She has cats, too, so she probably gets it. I can't even get frustrated with this cat, because its just so darned cute when she does these things. Now if my wedding rings go missing, I might have to rethink that.....

1 comment:

Lori Kintz said...

Ha ha. Galileo steals things too. He stole a cotton ball last night, we found it all over the carpet this morning. He likes the girls hairbands and headbands too, but, his favorite stuff, so far, is the tiny little Polly Pocket wear. I have two Polly Pocket plastic hats, a purse, and shoes that I have found underfoot all over the house sitting here on my desk. He also likes to steal the dog food, he bats it around the floor like he is punnishing it for some horrible reason, then he hides it under the kitchen rug, so I step on it when I go to the sink, or he hides it in the girls shoes, I guess so they have a little snack when they are at school?? Stealing the dogs food does not endear him to the dog in any way though :-)