Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Gym Etiquette (a few pointers for the clueless)

1. Don't put anyone's life in danger trying to get a parking space close to the front door. I mean, seriously!! You are at the gym for a reason. Walking a few extra yards won't impede your progress in your quest for health. Plus, you will not have to go to jail for vehicular manslaughter.

2. If you walk into a room filled with elliptical machines (or treadmills, or bikes or whatever), and its basically empty except for 1 lone person (like me), please don't come set up shop right next to me. Please. I am begging you. The machines are close enough together that it feels like a violation of my personal space. And while I force myself to deal with that if I have to be there at peak times, and all the machines are taken....I specifically try really hard to get there during the off hours so I don't have to deal with someone else's sweat and hot breath all over me.

3. Also related to #2 (see above)...if you are insistent upon sweating right NEXT to me, please refrain from trying to carry on a conversation. I don't know you and I am out of breath and about to die. Conversing during heavy exercise just feels wrong. I need to conserve my breath to keep living. Also? My mp3 player died about halfway through my workout, but I kept the ear buds in just so you would think I was STILL listening to music and couldn't hear you.

4. The antiseptic spray and paper towels are there for a reason. When you finish, do not forget to sanitize everything that you sweated on. Its gross anytime of the year, but right now? Its flu season and we are all doing what we can to stay well.

1 comment:

Steph said...

AMEN to all of these!! Drives me crazy when someone comes RIGHT next to me when there are tons of open machines!