Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dream Analysis Please.....



I had the weirdest dream last night. I was running errands, just going through a mundane, regular day, when I started noticing that everybody that I could see had a six inch statue of liberty replica in their pocket. It was one of those little cheesy types that you find in all the tourist trap stores in Times Square. Some people had one in their front pants pocket, some in the back. Some people had one in their shirt pocket, and I spotted a few ladies who had one peeking out of a pocket in their handbags. I was so caught up in checking these things out, and every single person that I saw at all the normal errand spots that I frequent had one. The grocery store, the mall, the bank....even the clerks had them.

And then I took a closer look, and noticed that every little statue had a different face. One had a baby's sleeping face, all pudgy with closed eyes. And some were men, some were women. Not anyone that I recognized, just random faces. I woke up from that feeling really unsettled like I was caught in some really bad Twilight Zone episode. It took me a while to go back to sleep. And its not like it was scary or anything, just surreal. Like a hallucination that I just wanted to shake myself out of. Funny. I wonder what a dream analyst would make out of that?

And speaking of unsettling...we just got back from the pool. We've been going occasionally in the afternoon, if we manage to get off work in time to soak up a little sun. So, anyway, there was this woman there that I haven't seen before. She was really overweight. And while that in and of itself is no biggie, there are plenty of less than perfect-sized people there, it was what she was wearing that was so frightening. She had on a bikini. Not a moderate 2 piece, that still managed to cover appropriately. But a teeny-tiny string bikini that my husband pointed out how the "strings" had all disappeared into huge folds of flesh so you could barely tell that she was wearing anything. It was obscene and disgusting. You would not even have to own a mirror to tell that it was inappropriate. You should just be able to FEEL that your straps were sucked into your "fat pockets". I noticed that people were sneaking sideways glances and talking in whispers about her. I felt bad and embarrassed for her. But you know...she must have been at least in her mid-40's, so seriously, she is old enough to know better. Most of the folks there have at least a half a sliver of decency about them. Not that there aren't some teeny tiny bikinis in the mix, but those are on the younger, thinner people who can pull that off. I know I am sounding mean, but I am afraid I might have nightmares about that tonight. And I do not want any more unsettling dreams.