Monday, March 23, 2009

Heirloom plants



I have an aloe plant, well actually more like "plants" that all came from a single sprig of an aloe plant that sat in my Grandmother's kitchen window for as long as I can remember. She gave me that sprig when we got married, and it has multiplied to the point that I have trouble accommodating all the aloe. I have given both the kids aloe to carry on the tradition of the family "heirloom" aloe. My Grandmother has been gone now for 9 years, but the aloe still thrives.

And now we have another family heirloom plant. I can't remember what it's called, so if anybody recognizes it, please tell me. Barb gave me a couple of sprigs last summer, and it has really taken off. It seems to like the light in our kitchen. And yesterday, as I was watering all the plants, I saw this single flower on it. I thought it was so pretty that I had to take a picture. As it grows, I may have to force pieces of this on my kids, so we can carry on another heirloom line. Really, though, if you know the name of this plant, please tell me.

4 comments:

Hannia said...

apparently, Christmas cactus, and it was gooorgeous!

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I did some checking around online, and Christmas cactus was what I came up with, too. I just thought Christmas cactus would tend to bloom in...well...December...and its spring now...LOL.

Anonymous said...

That's what I thought when I saw it too... :P

Anonymous said...

It looks like a Christmas Cactus. I had one for years in my office in California. It bloomed very randomly most of the time, not at all near Christmas time. Very hardy . . . meaning that I didn't kill it! -- Lori