Sunday, October 5, 2008

Random Stuff

-Going back to work this past week was somewhat challenging. It was absolutely nightmarishly busy, but I made it.

-We went with Stephen and Hannia to the County Fair last night. I haven't been in years. I remember it being fun, back when the kids were young. Now....not so much. It was kind of lame. It was crowded, expensive, and there just wasn't a whole heck of a lot to hold our interest. We walked around, rode the ferris wheel (at a cool $16 for 4 people for maybe a couple of minutes. what a rip off). And we ate some fair food: corndogs, funnel cake, and cotton candy. It was somewhat nostalgic, but not all that enjoyable. I hope I remember that it was lame next year, so I won't go waste my time (and money).

-Today Jeanne, Calvin and the girls came up for a visit. We went to see my husband's Great Aunt. She is 87 years old, and just been diagnosed with lung cancer. She is in a nursing home. That was kind of hard and depressing, but we felt like we needed to go. Actually, Aunt Grace was sitting up and talkative and in good spirits. Her mind is still sharp as a tack. The hard part was walking down the halls just lined with people who had nobody there to visit them. One woman grabbed my hand as we were leaving and tried her best to get me to stay there with her.
She apparently had had a stroke and was unable to talk, but she clearly wanted me to visit with her. Half of our group had already exited the building and were already getting into the car, so I had to wrestle my hand away and that made me sad. A personal note to my friends and family:
If I ever have to be put into a nursing home, please bring me booze when you visit. If I have to be there, at least let me be too drunk to know whats going on. Seriously.

-I am unhappy to say that it looks like we will have to forego my excessive Halloween decorating this year. There is just NO time. I hate it, and I will miss it, but it just isn't going to happen.
The main reason is that we will be leaving for NY for the week of Halloween, so we won't even be home for the holiday. On the bright side, we plan to party and celebrate to excess in the city, so its not like I am completely ignoring Halloween. I would NEVER do that!!!

-I hope you all have a good week. I will probably be just as bogged down at work as ever, but I still plan to try to get back into the gym schedule as much as I can. I miss it. I think my back is well enough to start working out if I take it slow and easy for a while....? I hope.

1 comment:

Creative-Type Dad said...

No decorating? Might as well cancel Halloween! :)