Friday, October 10, 2008

Grrrrrr......

Do you ever have one of those days when the planets align just right so that the entire universe conspires against you? I am having one of those days. Nothing serious or devastating, mercifully. But its been one aggravation and inconvenience after the other. ALL DAY LONG! For starters, I had a flat tire today. I knew that my husband was near-by, and I also know that my husband is one of those "Ready Freddie" kind of people. He has an arsenal of tools in a nice little bag in the trunk of his car that includes a tire pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and a cool little kit that can plug a hole and have you on your way in a matter of minutes. So I made the call for help, and he was there in record time, dragging out tools and mysterious devices, etc.

First up, the tire pump died. As in refused to work properly. So, he got my tire blown up with just enough air that I wouldn't ruin the rim if I drove on it, and told me to follow him up the road just a mile or so to a little store that would hopefully have one of those air machine thingies. He took off. I made it about 200 feet and the tire went completely flat again. I had to call him back and say that I couldn't make it to the store. Ok.......so......we proceed to plan B, which is to actually change the tire and put on that little doughnut spare just to get me home. Only after wrangling with the piece of crap jack that comes with my car, and burning his fingertips on the hot lug nuts, we discover that Plan B was shot all to hell because the spare is flat. Go figure. I was ready to scream. He ended up driving all the way home and getting another tire that we happened to have, luckily, and finally....finally I was on my way again. With a pounding frustration headache.

And now I was just online trying to purchase concert tickets for an event in November that we want to see. I got through the whole purchase process, take the option to print my own tickets to avoid these excessive shipping charges and wouldn't you know it? Our fancy new printer that we just installed (we meaning husband, because I don't install stuff) refused to print. Which involved a whole lot of husband having to try to figure out what the heck was wrong with my computer settings that wouldn't send the information to the printer. (we haven't figured it out yet). So I decided to turn on my husband's desktop to print the tickets from there. And of course, more issues come up that I have no idea about. Nothing would print. It wouldn't even open the file up so I could even SEE the tickets. It ended up being an issue with husband's not having installed Adobe reader (he just recently redid his computer and is still adding things). We got it done. Tickets are printed. But again, a minor little thing that should have taken less than 5 minutes, ended up taking more like 45. I have a headache now. And all I have done is feel frustrated. Hubby has been the one doing all of the manual labor to fix the onslaught of problems.

On a happier note, I just got a call from my daughter, who had taken off this morning to drive all the way from Virginia up to New York where a friend of her's was getting married. I am always uneasy when my kids are on the roads. But she made it, and she's fine and I hope she has a wonderful weekend with these college friends from Duke that she hasn't seen in a while.
She is coming home to visit with us on Monday, and I am looking forward to it. She always says, "But Mom, you just saw me on such and such a date", which honestly was back in July, I think. But even if it was just last week, its never enough for me....HaHa. She hasn't lived at home in like 6 years, but I still miss her. When she was in high school, we used to occasionally spend our Saturdays going out for lunch and then perusing some funky little thrift shops around town. Well, sometimes we shopped at the mall, but its the thrift shop shopping that I remember most.
Alot of times we came up empty-handed, but every now and again we would hit upon a piece of treasure. I still have the blue teapot with the bright yellow sun face on it that she spotted for me. Good times, I tell you. Good times.

1 comment:

That Chick Over There said...

You are such a good mom. I don't think my mom misses me. The children, yes, but not me!